Down The Memory Lane


As I was flipping through my books today, I received a text message on my phone from my beloved cousin, wishing me Salam Aidilfitri. It has been some time since I last heard from her, due to our tight schedule and stuffs, especially her nature of work. It was a pleasant feeling having to receive news from someone that you have not heard for quite awhile. Your message, Yana, somehow triggers me to walk down the memory lane…

Remember the time when we were young? The four of us, you, our 2 younger sisters that possess the same name, and I, were extremely close at that time. Speaking of names, I can still remember the name you used to call me. I hate it when you call me "Sneezy Suzy" even though it rhymes. Makes me sound like one of the seven dwarfs of Snow White's. But I think it sounds cute now even though I don't sneeze that much anymore.

We would never miss the chance of meeting each other each time during the school holidays. I simply love our “tour” around the campus in USM every time we followed your mom there, and then, sneaking at your mom’s literature books in the bookshelves in her room. That was when I first discovered about the great writers like Charles Dickens and some of his famous works, "Great Expectations" and "Oliver Twist". It has always been very inspiring to me. I have fallen in "love" with literature eversince.

Hey, remember the time when we put up a “room talent show” [instead of backyard talent shows…:)]. Remember how we adore the singers, Annuar and Ellina with their famous hits, “Kain Pelekat” and “Bintang Kecil”. And when you guys came back from your 3-year stay in Australia, you made us listen to the Nolan Sisters. It became our favourite pop group at that time. Gosh! We were so crazy head over heels over their songs without even knowing what they mean!! I can still remember one or two lines of their hits…”Don’t love me too hard, don’t move it too fast…” Pretty cool huh…:) We sang and danced in our transformed disco-like room, feeling great and really had a time of our lives.

I can never forget the time when we “balik kampong” and had a swim in the river. Actually I was pretty reluctant to go to the river as you always know that I have this kind of phobia towards ‘lil creepy creatures like the leeches and worms, to name just a few. I don’t mind the river but in order to get there, we have to go through tall grasses and muddy grounds…God knows what kind of creatures waiting for us there!! But then, I forced myself knowing that you guys would have fun splashing in the river without me, how can I ever stay indoors? And thank God the river was quite shallow and crocodile free. However, when I come to think of it, we never really bother whether or not there is any crocodile. We had lots of fun then and at that time, who cares!!

Those were the days... Life was so full of laughter and simple back then, with no miseries and woes, no sorrows and pain. Sometimes I do wish that I could turn back the clock and remain as a 12-year old kid forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"the traveller"

Malaysian Heritage