The meaning of drama

Many years back during college, I was quite active in performing plays on stage and was comfortable with the characters and roles that were given to me. I have had enjoyed myself so much in each play that I even dreamed of becoming a performer instead of a teacher! But what never crossed my mind at that particular time was that I never questioned or stop to think what is actually a play or a drama? It was only last year when my classmates and I were assigned to a project paper where we need to make a lot of findings regarding literary writers and their works, that has opened the door to my heart to understand what it means by drama or a play. And of course by attending this course, Teaching The Language Of Drama will surely make me comprehend better what it is all about.
From the first lecture itself, it is clearly defined that drama is a form of literature acted out by performers. Performers work with the playwright, director, set and lighting designers to stage a show. Drama really means "a deed" or "an action". So anytime you've acted something out, you've done drama!
Drama is slightly different from novels or short stories. Drama or plays do not usually have narrators to tell the audience what character is thinking or what happened in the past. The audience knows only what the characters reveal on stage.
Well, I guess I am going to gain a lot of experience regarding drama from now onwards. I am indeed looking forward to an exciting discovery of the world of drama!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"the traveller"

Malaysian Heritage