Wide Sargasso Sea


Finally I managed to complete my assignment. It is definitely not an easy task for me, but I finally did it!! Whether or not it’s good, I don’t care. What’s important is that my task is accomplished even though it took me longer time than expected. Eventually, I enjoyed reading the novel and the turmoil in Antoinette’s life managed to touch my innermost soul.

The brief study is based on Jean Rhys’s work, namely the “Wide Sargasso Sea”. In this study, I focused on the sombre experience of the female protagonist, Antoinette Cosway in the patriarchal society and what leads to her manner that causes the tragic and tear-jerking ending to her life. I am not in favour of glorifying committing suicide as an ultimate way out in any calamities stumbled upon, but my intention is to focus on the causes of the action of Antoinette Cosway, are none other due to the mistreatment of the male-dominant society towards the females. It is important to bear in mind that committing suicide cannot be applied and is strictly prohibited in Islam, as well as other religions in this world. Nevertheless, it did serve to guide my understanding on the reasons why this act is taken by the female protagonist mentioned.

The only thing that is not done yet is the oral presentation which will be carried out tomorrow night!!

Starting to have butterflies in my stomach now….

Comments

Free Zone said…
Congratulations Suzy,
really u did well and your presentation was good, as I told you,..
I listened to your presentation & I had no idea about the novel at all, when you finish your presentation two questions occupied my mind & feeling:
Is Antoinette a victim of herself (weaknss of character, wrong decisions & attitudes) or a victim of her society?
Second question:When she commited suicide,is she a victim or a criminal?
Also what are the main themes of this novel?
Wish you all the best..
ABDULRAHMAN
http://urinterest.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

"the traveller"

Malaysian Heritage