Off To The Torture Chamber


It has been a disaster for me for these past couple of weeks. I have gone through a lot of stress and depression lately. I am so frustrated with my students particularly, they are becoming so barbaric each day. I don't know, perhaps this is how they are like all this while. I am new here in this school, and when I was given this class to be under my care, I promised myself that I would do something to change their barbaric attitude. I know I can't change them overnight and turn them to be brilliant students, but at least I want to change them to be polite and know how to respect their teachers and peers.

I have enjoyed teaching the primary students. My 12 years of teaching in 4 primary schools had been a wonderful and blissful experience for me. I am not saying it is not tiring and hectic teaching younger students, but I never encountered any problematic students like what I face today. Frankly speaking, here in my current school, I don't feel the satisfaction in teaching anymore. I am always excited to teach Literature and I wish to share lots of teaching/learning activities with them. Unfortunately, most of my students in this one class do not seem to be interested in studying Literature, in fact they are not keen on studying anything. I wonder why at this young age, they seem to lose their interest in their studies. It is not that they aren't aware that only education can bring better future for them, but they just don't care. I have tried my best talking to them personally, trying to convince and persuade them. After all this is going to be their final year in school. But the more I talked to them the more they drifted away from me. I feel sorry for their parents, I don't know what to do to help them.

Life as a teacher in a secondary school, especially when you have a school like mine, can really be tormenting. Everyday when I walk to class I feel like I am walking towards the torture chamber where I will be punished and emotionally tortured by these fellow students of mine. I have to be strong, I have to do something about this. I don't want any events like this drag me down. I have to put an end to this, once and for all!

Popular posts from this blog

"the traveller"

Malaysian Heritage