"Sepet"

A tear-jerking ending!!! It really tears my heart out. That was my first remarks after the movie has ended. And I found myself in a pool of tears! Well, I was not the only one. My friends were crying too. Personally I feel that Yasmin Ahmad has done a good job. She has successfully convey her message through this simple and yet touching love story but very deep in its meaning.
“He doesn’t know me well enough to like me, but he’s in love with me.” The line uttered by Orked, in one of the scenes in “Sepet”. I think that statement is very true indeed. Love is very subjective and it has no boundaries. We have no reason why we like a person. We can’t possibly justify why we love one even though the person is oceans apart. Love can reach out and touch one’s heart even without knowing how the other person looks like. Of course this is very rare but it does happen sometimes. Love, to me, is indeed a piece of literature - different people and different culture with different perception even though we are dealing with the same subject matter. It is in the way you feel and the way you deal with it, which makes it beautiful.
We may differ in language and culture but we can still express our love and what is in our hearts and minds through beautifully arranged words and phrases and can still be understood by all. Like love, poem too is universal. Literature is universal. “Gitanjali” or “The Gardener” by an Indian poet, Rabindranath Tagore, which was recited by Jason to his mom, has proven us this.
I feel fortunate enough to have the chance to explore and discover more about literature and how it affects one’s life. Besides being universal, to me, literature is more on developing one’s personal growth. Having to watch this kind of movies and to study several plays written by wonderful playwrights, with different settings and themes, have somehow convinced me more that our life is so much related to literature. Therefore as teachers, I feel it is important for us to instil the awareness to the students, through the text or any other form of materials used and to feel free to discuss with them in the classroom so as to prepare them to face the real challenge in the real world outside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"the traveller"

Malaysian Heritage